Time: Friday, May 2, 2014, 5:30-10:00 pm
(NOTICE DIFFERENT TIME)
Location: (NOTICE DIFFERENT ADDRESS)
Home of Ed and Kristen Iverson
3582 Oak Rim Way
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
Cost: $15.00 Please RSVP via faithagaingroup
Philip McLemore was the Institute of Religion director at the University of Georgia and Auburn University, AL from 1977-1984. He then served for 20 years as an active-duty Air Force Chaplain, retiring in 2004. As a military chaplain, Philip specialized in marriage counseling, stress and crisis management, and care for trauma victims. From 2005-2011, he worked as a hospice chaplain and meditation instructor. Since then he has been exclusively devoted to teaching meditation and spiritual growth processes. Trained by world- renowned meditation masters, Philip is an expert in ancient and modern forms of meditation and contemplative prayer. He is the author of numerous magazine and journal articles on meditation and spiritual awakening and is a popular instructor at meditation retreats and seminars. Philip and his wife Kim have 4 married children and 10 grandchildren and live in West Point, UT, with their family of dogs, chickens, and rabbits.
Meditation is not just one of many spiritual disciplines but the consummation of all spiritual disciplines. It is the deepest form of prayer that leads one to conscious communion with God and spiritual rebirth. All of the secondary benefits of meditation such as stress reduction, lower blood pressure, strengthened immune system, slowing of the aging process, etc, are also manifest as one pursues this joyful, “inner” path. The scriptures teach that a “still mind” and a “pure heart” are necessary to “see” and “know” God; it is in this “seeing” and “knowing” that we are reborn in the image of Christ. Meditation properly understood and practiced results in the still mind and pure heart.
In this workshop you will learn:
- The philosophical and theological principles that support a fruitful meditation practice
- The ancient practice of Self-Inquiry and guided meditations, which are designed to help one “glimpse the soul”
- Mystery teachings of Jesus designed to bring us into a state of Oneness with God
- Step by step instructions in classic meditation, how to begin or deepen your practice, what to expect, and how to overcome common obstacles
- The principles and practice of Christian Contemplative Prayer
- How to eliminate unproductive, conditioned thought and behavior patterns and how to live with greater awareness and joy
- How to awaken in Christ Consciousness and experience the divinity of your soul
Why the cost for this dialogue?
That’s because this is less dialogue and more training. The cost is half of what Phil would normally charge per person. For perspective, the TM meditation course costs $1000.00 plus per person. Deepak Chopra’s Primordial Sound Meditation program, which is mostly taught by people with less experience than he has, is about $400 per person. (Phillip trained under Chopra). None of these show how Mormonism/Christianity is harmonious with the wisdom of the meditative traditions. Proceeds go to fund the animal hospice that Phillip and his wife operate as well as cover costs for handouts etc.
Note: Please carpool where possible. Parking is limited. Feel free to bring a pillow and water bottle as well as food to share.
Some important resources to read ahead of time: